SUNDAY MASS ONLINE - FEB. 17, 2013 - 1ST OF LENT - YEAR C


Feb 17, 2013 - 1st Sun of Lent


Deuteronomy 26: 4 - 10
4Then the priest shall take the basket from your hand, and set it down before the altar of the LORD your God.
5"And you shall make response before the LORD your God, `A wandering Aramean was my father; and he went down into Egypt and sojourned there, few in number; and there he became a nation, great, mighty, and populous.
6And the Egyptians treated us harshly, and afflicted us, and laid upon us hard bondage.
7Then we cried to the LORD the God of our fathers, and the LORD heard our voice, and saw our affliction, our toil, and our oppression;
8and the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great terror, with signs and wonders;
9and he brought us into this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey.
10And behold, now I bring the first of the fruit of the ground, which thou, O LORD, hast given me.' And you shall set it down before the LORD your God, and worship before the LORD your God;
Psalms 91: 1 - 2, 10 - 15
1He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, who abides in the shadow of the Almighty,
2will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust."
10no evil shall befall you, no scourge come near your tent.
11For he will give his angels charge of you to guard you in all your ways.
12On their hands they will bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone.
13You will tread on the lion and the adder, the young lion and the serpent you will trample under foot.
14Because he cleaves to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name.
15When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will rescue him and honor him.
Romans 10: 8 - 13

8But what does it say? The word is near you, on your lips and in your heart (that is, the word of faith which we preach);9because, if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.10For man believes with his heart and so is justified, and he confesses with his lips and so is saved.11The scripture says, "No one who believes in him will be put to shame."12For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all and bestows his riches upon all who call upon him.13For, "every one who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved."
Luke 4: 1 - 13
1And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit
2for forty days in the wilderness, tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing in those days; and when they were ended, he was hungry.
3The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread."
4And Jesus answered him, "It is written, `Man shall not live by bread alone.'"
5And the devil took him up, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time,
6and said to him, "To you I will give all this authority and their glory; for it has been delivered to me, and I give it to whom I will.
7If you, then, will worship me, it shall all be yours."
8And Jesus answered him, "It is written, `You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.'"
9And he took him to Jerusalem, and set him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here;
10for it is written, `He will give his angels charge of you, to guard you,'
11and `On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.'"
12And Jesus answered him, "It is said, `You shall not tempt the Lord your God.'"
13And when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from him until an opportune time.

Comments